Sunday, March 18, 2007

this stuff puts the "wee" in weekend

I feel like Gulliver in the land of the Lilliputians.

To set the stage for this here rant: On Friday (last day of March Break, weep weep), I took a little romp in the new wheels out to Orleans to check out a new yarn store - Wool n' Things. I even did some advance research and planning before I went out there so that I knew what I wanted to buy. I wanted: a baby sweater pattern, some baby yarn (maybe Debbie Bliss or Rowan), and a yarn for the Argosy scarf that I've wanted to knit for a while.

Instead, I came home with:
- 3 balls of sock yarn
- 1 set of 2.5 mm dpns
- one Addi turbo circular needle - 3 mm
- 3 skeins of Debbie Bliss baby cashmerino
- one book of Debbie Bliss baby patterns
- 1 skein of Hand Maiden camel silk

As you can see, I did not exactly follow my plan.
But as any kind of "artiste" will tell you (this is how I'm deluding myself these days - by calling myself an artiste; it seems to justify the impulsive shopping and compulsive creating that just seems to happen), there is no plan to the creative process and I can't control the fact that I'm attracted to pretty colors and cute little needles.

This, however, still reinforces the feeling of being Gulliver in the land of the Lilluputians.

Have you knit with 2.5 mm double pointed needles? Have you knit with a fiber so fine that it requires a 3 mm needle? Are you aware that, as a beginner, knitting with little wee needles is not exactly gratifying but more ... shall we say... irritating? I mean, it feels like you're knitting with toothpicks and thread, and you can't tell me you feel like a normal size human when you are constructing something out of toothpicks and thread.
As someone with small hands, I now know what it feels like to be a giant.

So here's what put the "wee" in my weekend.

Socks with "wee" little needles. Note the use of a tape measure to show how small they really are. Here's hoping they'll actually fit me!
And then, the very fine gauge of my Handmaiden silk Argosy scarf - soon meant to be wrapped around my neck in a jaunty fashionable fashion with that certain "je ne sais quoi." However, if I have to frog the stupid thing any more times, it will be wrapped around the inside of a garbage can, and the only thing that keeps me from doing that is the vision of the freaking price tag floating through my head.
Nothing "wee" about my temper, now is there?

No comments: